Teaching & Learning
Both teaching and learning are complex systems, and the Sandwich Public Schools is dedicated to providing what is needed to meet high expectations for teachers, staff, and students. In this section of the website, you will learn about:
- Our PK-12 Curriculum. organized by Areas of Study
- Professional Development
- Program Partnerships and Affiliations
- Reports - MCAS results; Research Studies; Accountability Documents
- Technology in Support of Teaching and Learning
- Mathematics and English/Language Arts Curriculum is aligned with the 2011 Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks, which are based on the Common Core State Standards.
- Science Curriculum is aligned with the 2016 Massachusetts Science and Technology / Engineering Frameworks, which are based on the Next Generation Science Standards.
- History and Social Studies curriculum is informed by the 2003 State Curriculum Frameworks, as well as a large body of work done by the Stanford History Education Group; National Council for Social Studies 3c Framework; and is supported with resources from the History and Political Science Teacher Education Program in the College of Education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Our curriculum in technology and computer science is aligned with the 2016 Massachusetts Digital Literacy and Computer Science standards.
Our Elementary Schools communicate student progress with Standards Based Report Cards. K-2 was launched in 2014-2015 and will be revised in 2016-2017 and Gr 3-6 will be launched in 2016-2017.
Middle School Students at the STEM Academy and High School Students at Sandwich High School choose from a comprehensive program of studies, with courses added each year in response to student interest.
New for 2016 - Massacusetts Commissioner of Eduation Mitchell Chester has a "Back to School Letter" for parents which includes a brief overview of how the Curriculum Standards are foundational to Teaching and Learning.